Cheltenham’s businesses have identified the projects they would like to see happen if a BID is approved in Cheltenham. They centre on business support, marketing and promotion, parking and accessibility, town centre events and public realm improvements.
However, we also need the views of as many businesses as possible – tell us which projects you like and which you don’t and give us your own ideas. Your feedback is really important to us and will directly shape the BID Business Plan.
- Employ town centre ambassadors to assist visitors and businesses.
- Support the wor kbeing done to achieve the prestigious Purple flag status to recognise and raise the quality of Cheltenham’s evening and night time offer.
- Implement group purchasing initiatives to save day and night-time economy businesses money on overheads such as energy, telecoms and waste disposal.
- Investigate the introduction of a loyalty card scheme for business staff to encourage them to use both day and night-time businesses.
- Develop a recruitment pack helping to highlight the benefits of working in Cheltenham.
- Produce regular updates for businesses on the issues which are important to them and provide key performance information for the town.
- Lobby for improved connectivity (online, Wi-fi and 4G) for the town’s businesses and visitors.
- Investigate potential funding, with police and other partners, of a multi-use, flexible community van to be used for public advice and safety purposes.
- Support University of Gloucestershire’s community street patrols, which assist patrons of night-time businesses.
Marketing and Promotion:
- Create high-quality town centre branding and imagery to support a series of year-round promotions targeted as key audiences and catchments.
- Carry out a market research to identify how current users of the town (local people and visitors) think it could be improved and to identify potential new visitor sources.
- Develop marketing campaigns to highlight the strengths of Cheltenham, to include promoting our events, food & drink venues, retail offer and the key Christmas period.
- Produce regular shopping and events guides in print and online.
- Create targeted promotions to increase footfall during currently quieter trading periods.
- Utilise social media to draw people into the town.
- Establish links with partner organisations to develop collaborative projects which better promote the town’s profile regionally, nationally and internationally.
Parking and Accessibility:
- Lobby for parking charge reductions for targeted trading periods if market research confirms this is important to visitors.
- Lobby for parking restrictions to start later on weekend mornings to allow drivers to leave their cars overnight.
- Link with public transport operators to provide better services as key times, especially during the evening and at night.
- Negotiate reduced bus fares and parking charges for business staff.
- Work closely with partner organisations to improve the town’s road layout and pedestrian linkages.
Town Centre events:
- Develop two major new town centre events (events to be agreed).
- Extend and capitalise further on established events to ensure that town centre businesses benefit even more from these.
- Arrange new comedy, music and arts events to promote licensed premises in the town.
- Create a vibrant annual programme of street entertainment.
- Improve the Christmas lights switch-on event, once the town centre redevelopment is complete, providing better lights and creating a Christmas Lights ‘pathway between the town centre and Montpellier.
Public realm improvements:
- Create imaginative, impactful way finding trails to link the main areas of the town with each other.
- Lobby for improvements to the provision, appearance and maintenance of public seating.
- Install attractive and impactful promotional town centre banners.
- Lobby for improvements to pedestrianised areas and crossings.
- Work to improve way finding signage in the town.
Who to contact:
Martin Quantock – BID Project Manager
T: 07900 905236
further details on the proposals are available on the Cheltenham Business Partnership website at www.cheltenhambp.org.uk/news
further information on Business Improvement Districts are available from the British BIDs website at www.britishbids.info